Monday 21 June 2010

"Sorry, full house ... "

The story is began when I was studying at SMP Pius 2, a junior high school at my home town, Tegal. There is an English teacher, named Mr. Louis. For the best of my belief, I was taught by Mr. Louis at the second & third level.
Honestly, I am bad in English. I even ever got score 4 for my English. Hence, Mr. Louis told me, "I am sorry, full house" to describe that he couldn't help me more as I didn't make any improvement. It was a statement from an easy essay that all student have to learn about & Mr. Louis use that statement for me.

The "problem" is ... Mr. Louis is also a music teacher. And as a Music Teacher, he gave me a significant opportunity as I won some singing competitions at that time. Then, he asked me to sing "Gunung Manahutu" at inauguration night. The thing that make the opportunity is so special is ... I was the one & only singer with more than 40 people backing vocals & 20 people music players !!! What's an unforgetable momment that I've ever had ....

Fortunetaly, the story is change then. I passed final national examination and got score more than 8 for my English ! It's just because of Mr. Louis !!!

When I was invited for interview for my first job, I came to Mr. Louis's house, asked for his advice and tips. And the result is, I got the job as an Executive Secretary to Vice President and I was recommended good in English ! Oh my God !!! When I move to Jakarta for diferent job as Corporate Secretary, again, I was recommended that I am good in English. And now, as I have worked as a Public Relations at a stated own company, once again, people knows me good in English ! But in fact, I am not that good, at all. Hahahaha ...

I remember, Mr. Louis always remind us to make our vocabulary notes that is separated in person, things and place. So if we find a new word, example for "doctor," then we have to define the meaning of doctor in our "person" vocabulary note, as follows : Doctor is a person who look after ............ etc. What's a clever & perfect teacher !

When I met Mr. Louis at the end of May for junior high school reunion in my hometown, I saw that Mr. Louis was so different 'caused of his sickness. But I knew that he was very happy to see all of us at that night. On the second day reunion, lunch time, Karolina told me that Mr. Louis got stroke attact last night at 02.00 am, in the early morn' actually. I thought Mr. Louis was too happy so that he has been shocked. At noon, finally I found him was laying in a bed at ICU taking a rest. Me, Macky, Cicilia & Elcy staring at him who was slept support by oxigen.

One thing that made me so sad is I was informed by Mr. Louis little sister that actually Mr. Louis has prepared at least 2 (two) songs at reunion night. Unfortunetaly, there is no one invited him to the stage to perform, but me. When I asked to the MC for inviting Mr. Louis to perfom, I was reminded by another theacher that it would be impossible for Mr. Louis to sing. Becaused of stroke Mr. Louis has trouble to walk & talk, so how to sing ? In fact, we're wrong ... I'm so sorry Mr. Louis, I should be more insisted thta night so that you are able to perform and show us how much you miss to sing a song in front of us ....

That's my Mr. Louis' story all about. I am so proud when I chat to expatriates and they are impressed as I speak English so british ! No wonder, Mr. Louis always show us which one is British English and which one is American English. Moreover, he did the same thing & show us how to pronounce all the word in different slank. Again, it's just because of Mr. Louis. Mr. Louis ... I know that I couldn't give you as you have given to me and my future. But I am sure that God will bleseed you as you always do your best for your student with love ... Thank you Mr. Louis, we hope you always health. We love you ....

No comments: